Hand-Me-Downs
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Hubby asked me to create a spreadsheet of everything we would need for Baby along with the prices. He wanted me to include stuff we’re planning to put on the registry so that the list would be comprehensive.As you can imagine, he almost fainted when I gave him the grand total and showed him how it added up so quickly. Now, I wasn't going overboard. I found prices at amazon.com and babycenter.com. The more expensive items were the nursery furniture (a crib for 200 bucks, etc). Well, Hubby was quickly able to outdo me because we stopped by Wal-Mart and found a crib, changing table, and dresser set all for less than 200 bucks! Hubby thought we struck gold while I was having visions of the furniture collapsing on baby! Around here, no one shops at Wal-Mart for furniture. In fact, Wal-Mart doesn't even have baby furniture assembled so you can make an informed decision. They simply have boxes of five different cribs and you can determine if it meets your need by the picture on the box! Hello! That doesn't work for me. I need to rattle and shake the thing so I know its sturdy enough to endure the inevitable temper tantrums.
I'd rather cruse garage sales than buy this bottom-of-the-line nursery set from Wal-Mart. I checked the classified, but there is really nothing for sale. However, Hubby discovered Craig's List this morning. It's a fantastic resource for used baby gear. You can get play yards for 10 bucks, infant car seats for 15, and other such things. It's like eBay, only without the bidding wars and shipping charges!
posted by Avorie @ 10:42 AM,
![]()
1 Comments:
- At 12:02 PM, Isabel said...
-
You may have to post your spreadsheet for all of us to see. I can't even start to think about all the crap we are going to need. My hubby is just now freaking out about the money I am spending on maternity clotes (BTW, am wearing some to work today for the first time).
We love Craigslist at our house. We just used it to sell our house. Seriously.
I am with you on not buying your baby furniture at Wal-Mart. I hate that place. My sister in law just got a really cute changing table at KMart. They had to put a few more screws in it to make sure it was stable. It was adorable and affordable.
We are concerned that there isn't any nice looking baby stuff out there. My hubby is into really modern furniture and Winnie the Pooh and Care Bears just don't go with that theme. He may just end up making all of our stuff (in his spare time...haa-haa!)



